Thursday, July 25, 2013

My dream closet

This was one of my first undertakings since it was always my dream to have my own walk-in closet all to myself and now I knew we'd finally have room outside the closet for my husband's clothes. However, the past owners installed these large closet cabinets from Ikea, and although very useful, they were also brown and made the closet look smaller and darker. So I decided to paint them ivory to match the closet walls with gold accents. I also added a silver full length mirror ($20 at Walmart), a shoe rack ($10 Ross) and all wood hangers ($8 for 10 at Ross) to add a feeling of luxury. Here's one of my favorite rooms:

 Here's the brown closet inserts before.

Since the wood is actually compressed wood with a laminate seal I had to sand it first for the paint to catch 

...otherwise the paint would scratch from the smallest nick.

It was a rather long process. This was after two coats of primer.

I then took two more careful coats of the ivory paint to cover the wood laminate.

For the drawers I painted the fronts of the drawers and edges with gold paint since I could not take the drawers out and it would be very difficult to paint inside each drawer. The gold matched the wood inside the drawers enough to blend in.


 Now the closet is so much lighter and is the perfect, luxurious display for all my clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment